Monday, May 3, 2010

Journal 6 -NETS Five

Gaming/ Web 2.0 tool

Journal six
Classroom 2.0 and Gaming
For my classroom 2.0 assignment and Journal number six, I have chosen to follow the tool option for gaming and check out some of the discussions. To begin, I ought to define the term gaming as it might be unfamiliar to some. Gaming and Gamers are terms applied to online game players. Games like WOW (World of Warcraft in common speak), Diablo, City of Heroes, Command and Conquer, and the ever-popular Sims. Gaming is the act of playing online on a PC or laptop. The discussion posted on August 30th, 2007 by Ed Jones asks the question, "How can we use gaming to teach students about history and literature."

This sounds really innovative and useful, I personally love gaming. I also love to learn and teach, so melding the two is brilliant in my eyes. If you follow the discussion you can see links which will show you some examples of gaming in use today for the purposes of teaching. The most common examples can be found in museums. I am sure we have all played an interactive learning game on display at some point in our lives. I think this is a positive way to get kids engaged in history in particular. I remember as a child one of my favorite games was Organ Trail. In it you actually go along the Organ Trail in a covered carriage and combat the various obstacles just as early pioneers. To be honest i spent most of my time hunting for food. Games like these could get kids to care about something which they show overwhelming apathy towards, history. I would also argue that this is an effective way to reach students who are slow learners. Gaming allows kids to work "hands on," as well as engage other modalities of learning.

Could aerobic gaming be integrated into physical education? Think DDR PE :)

How are students under the ADA given access gaming in their education. Is it possible?

1 comment:

  1. This journal entry specifically meets NETS Five which states "contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession and of their school and community." The articles and discussion I read on Web 2.0 tool is really powerful and interesting. Games can be used as educational tools for every subject in academia.

    ReplyDelete